|This is what I'll look like, except with my current|
Lucius Malfoy hair.
I'm talking, 100 books in 3 months.* That kind of binge. I'm going to try to avoid War-and-Peace/Infinite-Jest-length books, because even though I read fast, I'm not a superhero. I may add to that number with a few Shakespeare plays, too, just to refresh.
Why am I writing about this here?
Well... I want your help. I have 48 books I want to get through, in no particular order, all recommended by the same person. I want your knowledge to help me add to that list: the books that you loved, the books that changed you, the books you still ache about having to have finished. The books with the characters you just can't forget or let go of. Comment below with your suggestions! Once I get 100+ books suggested, I'll prune the list and come up with a final version I'll post here (this list may or may not include my original 48). I'll try to blog regularly about my adventure (thereby veering away from the science theme of this blog) - you're welcome to follow me or read along!
As a guide: I can get through approximately 300 pages of not-too-heavy writing in a day quite easily. I hated Grass' The Flounder, Twilight, and anything by Bukowski. Leonard Cohen inspires me. I'm still looking for my "Lit Crush." I love books about science. I didn't like The Pillars of the Earth. I'll be happy to pick up any fiction book, as long as it inspired you in some way.
My List So Far, in No Particular Order...
- Toni Morrison - Song of Solomon
- Ralph Ellison - Invisible Man
- JM Coetzee - Age of Iron
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera
- Philip Roth - American Pastoral
- Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart
- Darkness at Noon - Arthur Koestler
- John Updike - Rabbit, Run
- James Baldwin - Go Tell it on the Mountain
- Don DeLillo - White Noise
- EL Doctorow - Ragtime
- Walker Percy - The Moviegoer
- John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces
- Tim O'Brien - The Things They Carried
- Ford Maddox Ford - The Good Soldier
- Malcom Lowry - Under the Volcano
- Colm Toibin - The Blackwater Lightship
- Jack Kerouac - On The Road
- Katherine Dunn - Geek Love
- Raymond Carver - What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
- Katherine Ann Porter - Ship of Fools
- Graham Greene - The Power and the Glory
- Norman Mailer - The Naked and the Dead
- William Kennedy - Ironweed
- John Fowles - The French Lieutenant's Woman
- Carson McCullers - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
- Alice Walker - The Colour Purple
- Richard Wright - Native Son
- Zadie Smith - White Teeth
- Denis Johnson - Tree of Smoke
- Colson Whitehead - The Intuitionist
- Michael Chabon - The Adventurs of Kavalier and Clay
- John Banville - The Sea
- Dave Eggers - What is What
- David Leavitt - The Indian Clerk
- Jonathan Lethem - Fortress of Solitude
- Gao Xinglian - Soul Mountain
- Ivo Andric - The Bridge on the Drina
- VS Naipaul - A House for Mr Biswas
- Christina Garcia - Dreaming in Cuban
- M Scott Mamaday - House Made of Dawn
- Alan Paton - Cry, the Beloved Country
- Julia Alvarez - In the Time of the Butterflies
- Louise Erdrich - Love Medicine
- Tom Robbins - Skinny Legs and All
- Isaac Asmiov - Foundation
- Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game
*Whatever I don't finish in that three-month summer period, I intend to finish before the start of 2013. Yes, I'm setting the goal crazy-high, because I'm masochistic like that - it'll help me push forward. I'll have a back-up list of up to 50 books (if I get that many suggestions) as well. What can I say - I like checklists.